Monday, November 06, 2006

Update on California Classic in San Bernardino

So this weekend I headed out to San Bernardino High School for the California Classic hosted by Rommel Dunbar. I made weight easliy at 170 even on Friday so I was hydrated and trim for this tournament just what I wanted to be.

After an endless wait (they actually passed my division by) we finally took the mat at sunset. did I mention my family had arrived that day at 9am to watch??? What a LONG DAY it was...

We had a smaller group of five competitors which is common at the Master's level we were Master's White Belt 16-173. My training buddy John was alos in my bracket so our goal was to have Team USA BJJ finish 1st/2nd in this division. John handled his first match with ease. He put on a point clinic for us and won his match something like 12 to 2.

Next I was up; I had drawn a longer trained white belt I believe named Taylor, he had three to four stripes already and looked to be thin and well trained. I held a single minded goal for this match, get the take down and win the match. I knew I would have my hands full on the ground but I had been focusing hard on my take downs and didn't want to start this match up behind. I figured I had to beat this guy for chance at a medal so this match was all or nothing for me.

From the initial clinch I felt this guy wanted an outside sweep but he maintained a solid stance and didn't give me any elbow control. I worked hard to get him off balance but he had definately spent time on his feet (probably grappling at an early age) and didn't want to leave his feet or give up an easy take down. The great news was he didn't want to pull guard eighter. After what seemed liked an eternity on our feet I decided to give up on my dreams of a leg sweep; I disengaged his hold on my belt and left lapel and instantly shot a double leg take down. After a bit of adjustment I finished the take down successfully to take the 2 points. I ended up side mount but I think I moved to quickly and he flipped turtle on me and I went to set my hooks and take his back. He succsessfully dumped my to my right hip and eventually I put him in half guard where I held for a few seconds and ended the match. I won on points and that is exactly what I wanted/needed to have happen.

After a long wait John and I took the mat for the gold medal round. since this was exactly what we wanted to have happen we both we happy with the situation. I was focused on preventing a submission, getting a take down and working to earn points. So was JOHN! What the dust settled John had won 9 to 2. He did a great job of maintaining control and working for points throughout our match. But as a three stripe white belt with plenty of experience you figure the guy should do well.

It was a good day... I very long day but a good day. I would recommend this tournament to every child grappler out there. They had age ranges form two years old and up, that's right we watched a two year old defeat a four year old in the four year old division. It was cute as heck. I couldn't belive they actually found/made a wonderful blue gi for the little guy.

That's it for now.

No comments: