Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Competition Update 2008

A few months back perhaps five months now I tested and received my Blue Belt under John Kvenbo Munoz, United Submission Academy (www.teamusabjj.com) where I have trained since I was referred to John from fellow grapplers who got me started in BJJ.



As a white belt Masters competitor I think I faired pretty well. I brought home three second place medals: 2nd place American National, 2nd place American International, 2nd place California Classic. I also competed in my first Pan Ams and World Championships. As a newby to BJJ I had a modest goal of winning a gold medal in my rank, weight and age division. That dream was recently realized.

I was anxious to test prior to this year's World's where I competed once again in the adult division. i went a full round against a 26 year division 1 grappler from FL. I did much better this year than last (no rookie mistakes) but the pace this kid kept up was fast and i did the best a 38 year old white belt could do with a high school varsity repertoire. Progress all the same. After the worlds my next tournament was Glebber Luciano's tournament, well attended and managed like all other well managed Brazilian tournaments. I had three matches and came out with another 2nd place medal. But it felt good and it was my first medal as a baby blue belt.



My next tournament was US Open of Grappling in Long Beach (I met BJ Penn and Clebber was there, I got them to sign my white belt). I was excited as I had missed this tournament last year but wanted to head out and see how my skills are progressing. The only comment I'd make is they need more Master's and Senior competitors at this event. It seemed to be thin in the Blue Belt category in general. I had one match but came out with the Gold. My goal was met after a little over two years of consistent training. Not bad for a 39 year old.

Next I'm focused on American National in Carson, CA. It's coming up fast. Our team should have a good showing. The last two tournaments we have entered we have all placed.

So as my initial goal has been met in BJJ competition I have now focused securely on a new one, place 1st in both Adult and Masters divisions a single tournament. Now it's time to see how I rank in the younger generation as well as my peers. Only time will tell but with focus and hard work I'm sure this goal will come in time. Adult competition will also prepare me for World Championship (Mondial) competition as the only Master's Senior's World Championship is held in Brazil at the time of writing this blog. I've heard they may be working to create a Master's/Senior's world here in the US. We shall see.

Remember nothing can keep you from obtaining a goal you truly set your heart on. It's been almost three years since I was captivated by Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I have never looked back. I began this journey out of shape and weighing in at 225 lbs. Today I walk around at 178 lbs and feel fantastic. I'm also training to compete in Pankration tournaments as well where I finally get to punch and kick a bit.

I encourage anyone who might stumble upon this blog to realize that you can meet the challenge, try new things and achieve great things. I'm happy with what I've done thus far and look forward to decades more of learning and challenging myself to perform.

Happy training to all.

KK

No comments: