Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Focus - single mindedness isn't a bad thought...

Your mind is your most powerful weapon. Use it and improve your tournament outcome.

I'd like to share a story concerning how on two separate occasions prior to BJJ competition I focused on single minded goals to achieve meaningful outcomes for my personal growth in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competition. I should mention my mental focus has nothing whatsoever to do with my game plan for my matches i.e. the plan I have to overcome my competitor either by points or submission on the mat. This has more to do with giving my mind something to focus on concretely as an overriding objective for the tournament. I introduced mental focus into my game to give me a clear goal every time I step on to the mat. It's the overriding mission directive I give myself prior to engaging in competition.

Here's how I set a goal mind. As an example I'll talk about my US Open first place finish and my most recent second place finish at American National.

Here's the basics of what I do to get my goal into my subconscious mind. I think about something I wish to accomplish at an upcoming tournament. One single thing that matters to me more than anything at this time. Over a couple of weeks prior to the tournament I verbally recite this goal over and over in my mind. I have even told my goals to my coach both times. something he thoroughly enjoys especially when I do exactly what I commit to doing.

Prior to the US Open I had set it in my mind it was my time to take home a gold medal. This was the first goal I ever set for BJJ competition when I began training in 2005; "I desired to place first in my division at a major BJJ tournament." I had set this goal two years ago when I first started training but I realized I never focused on it prior to a tournament. I simply knew I wanted to achieve it. But the US Open was different. I trained, planned and focused on taking home gold and nothing else from that tournament. Victory or nothing.

So why have a goal in mind prior to competition? A goal such as taking home gold gives you focus, determination, desire and fortitude. How many Gold Medal Olympians have you witnessed over your lifetime. Can you recall a tremendous moment of glory perhaps one shared for generations, moments forever set in our minds as glorious victory. Those enduring moments all began with on overriding goal, Win the Gold!

When you harness the power of your mind by giving it a clear and decisive objective you unleash your most powerful and cunning of weapons. As your match begins and you engage your opponent, setting your grips or pulling guard your mind will immediately access your next step, predicting the outcome of each grip, hand placement or lock. Your mind will create a path in support of your goal. Your mind will observe, calculate, analyze and react to opportunities before your realize they have presented themselves.

Has your instructor ever told you not to think your way through a match? When you think you slow down your nervous system which can cause you to lose or miss opportunities. You must take what your opponent gives you and use it against them the instant opportunity presents itself. By keeping a goal in mind your brain will seize the opportunities presented to you during a match and provide a road map to your desired outcome.

In the US Open the difference between gold and silver was a single take down, 2 points. Without a concrete goal in mind, without knowing with certainty what I desired most from this match, would I have shot for the double leg take down and driven through and turn the corner near the end of our match? Would I have worked so aggressively to flatten my opponent out and hold him on his back so to avoid his guard? I believe by having a goal in mind my brain took over and guided me to my desired outcome.

As a further example of this power the mind has over your ability to perform I'll share my most recent tournament just this weekend at the American National. Two years hence this was my first tournament, I was anxious to compete here now as a Blue Belt and test my growing skill. My goal "a submission in competition." I know it sounds ridiculous but although I had placed second four times and first place once prior to this tournament I had yet to submit a competitor during a match. Once more as luck would have it I was placed with a competitor I had met before. He's a great guy and solid four stripe Blue Belt. But I had made a rookie baby Blue Belt mistake against him at the Pan Ams and gotten DQ'ed on an ankle lock. My goal today was simple, submit him and take the win to move on the the gold medal round and face an unknown competitor. Note: my goal was a submission and to make it to the gold medal round, I never told myself to win the gold....

So what happened Saturday? After waiting out my first round bi, I took to the mat. Because we had met before my challenger had a set agenda to thwart my take down attempts. He has a solid base and avoids sweeps and take downs well. We were deadlocked early on. But at the moment he pulled guard and placed a foot on my hip my mind went on autopilot. I quickly gathered his legs, smashed them to the side and passed his guard pull attempt (earning 2 points). Because a submission was on my mind I worked hard not to simply flatten him out but to turn him toward turtle position which he did and before I could think of taking his back I was setting one hook and searching for the other while my hand simultaneous grasped his collar to setup a collar choke. After setting my second hook and trapping his right arm, as if directing itself I set the choke and squeezed. The moment was surreal as he tapped out. It was as though I was watching it all happen from the stands enjoying the moment from afar.

But after this match I realized my preparation had failed me for I had achieved my ultimate goal. As luck would have it my first round bi and second round win now placed me in the gold medal round, exactly where I wanted to be; my goal was acheived. But I lacked a solid goal in mind to see me through this new challenge. So what happened? My final match was short lived, he pulled guard and setup a triangle choke, I guarded by holding his belt with my left hand and I had almost all of my right arm in his triangle but somehow the effortless movements of my prior match did not come. I fought hard to keep my neck lose enough to breath which worked for a time. But I didn't posture hard enough, I never stood up and stepped over him to escape. Instead he adjusted his triangle a few times and finally hung my head hard enough to force me to tap or get choked out. It's then I realized the importance of having goals in mind for every match. Knowing the outcome before we begin is critical in every match.

I remember being elated after my second match; goal achieved. I knew I had done my best and received my desired outcome but I entered that final match with nothing mentally.

The power of a goal can carry you through even the toughest of matches so don't let luck be your guide. Set a goal. Know exactly the outcome you want from every match and every tournament. Prepare your mind even more than you prepare your body and witness for yourself the awesome power you contain in your brain.

Happy training.

KK

2 comments:

Elan Morgan said...

You are being featured on Intrepid Tuesday:
http://www.fivestarfriday.com/2008/09/intrepid-tuesday-edition-3.html

socialFIEND said...

Schmutzie,

Thank you very much for featuring my blog. I have gained additional readers and additional Twitter followers because of your help.

All the best.

KK